Thursday, August 05, 2004

Day 42

Wednesday, August 4th
Wawa to Pancake Bay
154km

I can't believe that there is still no cell phone coverage in camp.  How can people live out here???  I havn't been able to send or receive e-mails since Thunder Bay.  Camping just isn't camping without a working RIM.  I can only imagine the (literally) dozens of times that my poor mother must be logging onto my web page each day...hoping that I have added something.  Tomorrow we go through Sault Ste Marie, which MUSY have coverage.

Great day today.  My team cooked breakfast which consisted of fried bagels (we don't have a toaster), porage and cold cereals.  I had all three for my breakfast.

After that, we packed up the truck and hit the road.  I rode alone for most of the morning.  There was a great tailwind and some donhill stretches early on, so I was flying.

We spent most of the day cycling through Lake Superior Provincial Park.  This is a great route to cycle, with constant climbs and decents.  There were also numerous vistas, looking out into the tranquil bays of Lake Superior.  The sun was out and bright, but it was a very mild day, which was great for cycling.

At about the 70km mark, I met up with Lorne, and rode the next 35km with him.  There were some long, steep climbs and the perfect tail wind seemed to become a viscious crosswind for long stretches.  The downhills were particularly tricky today, as the wind really made you fight to keep control of your bike.  It seemed to gust randmoly on the long downhills, perhaps bouncing off of the rocky embankments at the side of the road, or the trucks that were roaring past.  Whatever the cause, the wind really sapped the fun out of the downhills for me today.

At the 100km mark, we stopped for lunch.  Paul and Rick were at the same place, so I rode the rest of the way with them.
-----------------------------------------------
Daniel Longo
CIBC Corporate Development
(416) 956-3831

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are dead on with the number of times I logged on to see what you had posted, only to come away disappointed. However, I logged on right after your phone call to see what you had been up to. I am enjoying every post and printing them out for Nana,

Ma.