Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Day 70

Wednesday, September 1st
Lower Barney's River to Whycogomagh
150km

Another long, fairly tough day.

We made scrambled eggs and oatmeal for breakfast this morning.  And with that, galley duty was finished for good. 

Rick cook breakfast with us today, since Peter had filled in for Rick yesterday morning.  This was good, because I got to ride with Rick for the first third of the day.

My goal every galley duty shift was to catch the other cyclists before they reached camp.  Most of the cyclists usually left at least an hour and a half before the cook crew, so I met my goal fairly rarely.  Today however, we left at about 8:10...only 40 minutes after most riders.  PLUS...I had Rick with me to pull me into the wind.

Together, with Rick doing most of the work, we caught up with everyone about 45km into the day.  Rick stopped for a secound breakfast, and I rode the rest of the day with Rosalyn.

We stayed dry for most of the day, but the winds and hills were still a big factor...especially for the 50 or so kilometers after Canso Causeway.  Some of the long windy climbs were very remaniscient of the Rockies.  One long climb even had construction crews and fresh ashphalt...deja vous Jackass Pass...minus the heat and severe steepness.
-----------------------------------------------
Daniel Longo
CIBC Corporate Development
(416) 956-3831

No comments: