Saturday, June 26, 2004

Day 3

Satueday, June 26th
Orientation in UBC (Vancouver)
0km

Nothing very exciting today.  We sat in a conference room and the trip organizer explained some of the logistical details to us.  The full group has now been assembled, and the 33 of us (plus 1 driver) head off tomorow.

We loaded our stuff onto the truck in the afternoon, and some of the riders prepared spaghetti and salade for our dinner.  There is going to be a lot of oatmeal, peanut butter, bread and pasta on this trip.  Luckily, I enjoy all of the above.  (For 4 years of highschool and 1.5 at Bain I ate peanut butter sandwiches every day at lunch.)  However, some of the international riders are in for a rough adjustment.  Peanut butter sandwiches in particular seem to be unique to  North America.  Alan, from Scotland couldn't imagine mixing peanut butter and jam in a sandwich.  “It's a shame to waste a perfectly good jam sandwich”, he said.

After dinner, Paul, Colin and I bought an electric razor and gave each other buzz cuts.  Most of the group is balding, so this will help us fit in better.  The catch is that we all look quite similar now.  Especially in the matching “Tour du Canada” jearseys that we were all given today.  However, Colin remains short, Paul has an Auzzie accent, and I am the pretty one, so people should not have too much trouble.

Last night in a bed until sometime in August.  Hopefully my RIM will continue to get reception as we ride through the more rural sections of the country.
-----------------------------------------------
Daniel Longo
CIBC Corporate Development
(416) 956-3831

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,

This is more like it -- definitely more interesting. I think I need a cast list, however, to keep everyone straight -- I see that Paul is the Auzzie and Alan is Scottish, but who is Colin? May be they would like to give us a short bio on your next quiet day?

I guess that you are leaving Vancouver today (Sunday) and face some beautiful scenery, but challenging riding. Hope all is going well.

Love Ma.